My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Whoops.

I guess I’ve gotten caught up in things, and have been bad about writing lately.

I’m doing really well! Walking fairly normally. I can’t walk around the mall or anything, but I can walk short distances and I’m supposed to take frequent breaks. I’ve been working on my PT exercises. I’m sleeping upstairs; I’ve even felt good enough to sleep on my stomach and non-operative side recently. It seems like my rash around my stitches is clearing up, we’ve discovered it’s probably from the beta-dine that we used at home to change the dressing. I’m not wearing a dressing over my stitches anymore, just the steri strips that they put on post-op in the hospital. Eventually the steri strips will fall off and my stitches will just be bear, one already has. Because I’m having surgery again instead of making me come into clinic they’re just going to take the stitches out when I go in on Thursday, convent. I’ve gotten the showering down. I wrap my leg in saran wrap so that my stitches don’t get wet, and then I’m good to go. It works very well.


Getting ready for surgery number 2.

There isn’t a whole lot I have to do since my last surgery was so recent. Just get together lost of loose clothes, and dresses as that seems like the easy way to go. I’ll probably shoot for more dresses because this surgery will have a larger incision and pants will just be too uncomfortable. I think I’m going to pack a hospital bag for this one since it’s likely I might have to stay.

1 comment:

  1. Your comment about being out and about walking brings back the memories of racing you to the stop sign at the corner when leaving. We are glad to read the updates and see positive news. Keep on healing and enjoying life. Love GBM amd BKM

    ReplyDelete