My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Allergic Reaction?

So we tried to do everything possible to prevent me from getting a reaction to adhesive and everything else they used on my skin during surgery. You might remember the terrible reaction I had to the tape that was used for my epidural with my last surgery. It was a mess, to say the least. After experiencing that disaster, we though that I had an adhesive allergy, specifically to Medipore (a specific type of tape, which is commonly used for surgical dressings). So for this surgery, we told the hospital that we thought I was allergic to Medipore tape, so they used a different kind of tape, which I’ve used before and hadn’t had any trouble with. Thinking that would be the end of that, we didn’t pay too much attention to my dressing. When I went home we changed the dressing daily, like they told us to. The stitches looked really good, I didn’t even have bruising.

By about day 3 or 4 my stitches started to turn red and they were super itchy. Knowing my history, we started on Benadryl pronto. Today, the redness is a little worse, and there are several little bumps that have formed around my stitches. It doesn’t make much sense because I never had any adhesive right around my stitches; the tape that was on my hip was much farther away, not close to my stitches. So it seems like I might be allergic to the beta dine that we used to clean my dressing.

We’re going to make a call to my surgeon’s office to see what they think, and to see if we can narrow down what I’m having a reaction to so that I can avoid this for the next surgery.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, this situation is sounding like a lifetime movie or book I just read. They always have good endings so I look forward to better reports as the week goes on. Maybe a skpe is in order so you have to dress up to talk with your CT. family? Take care. Love Uncle Gary and Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete