My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Friday, June 11, 2010

Home Sweet Home



My surgery went really well, like I said and my surgeon thinks that my next one is going to go better than expected.

I had a spinal tap put in in pre-op, which I don't remember at all. They put medicine in through my IV which I remember, but after that I was out.

I woke up fairly comfortable in PACU (post-op). After I was more awake, my mom and dad came in. I don't remember a whole lot from PACU because I was still pretty out of it. When I was ready to go up to my room they called the transport people. The guy came and got me, but when we got to the elevator my bed wouldn't fit in. I had bars all over my hospital bed, kind of like a canopy, so that I could lift myself up, but they stuck out too long so the elevator wouldn't close. As you could imagine, coming right out of surgery it wasn't very plesant to move let alone have someone push and pull on my bed to try to make it fit. So he took me to another elevator which was bigger, the only trouble was that this elevator was on the other side of the hospital. When I finally got to my room, about 20 minutes later, I was in more pain, but they got it calmed down and then I just sleep for a while.


It seemed like everytime I woke up someone was bringing me another plate of food. I hadn't eatten anything since before surgery and the first thing they tried to give me was spaghetti. Does that sound like a good idea to you? Well I didn't think so. Needless to say I skipped out on the spaghetti.

I had a pretty good night in the hospital last night. The morning didn't go so well though. Physical therapy came in the morning to get me up and walking. I thought I was ready so they got me up and I went to the bathroom (they took out my catheter). By the time I got to the bathroom I was really nausous and dizzy. Needless to say it was time to go back to bed. Once I got back to bed I feelt a lot better and took a nice long nap.

When I woke up I felt a ton better and I was ready to go home. PT came in again and I successfully went to the bathroom and practiced walking. The nurse changed my dressing, which looked pretty good. My hip isn't bruised or anything. Then I was ready to go home.

The car ride home was a little stressful because every turn and little bump made my hip hurt more. Once I got home and got into my bed I was much more comfortable.

I'm defiantly glad to be home and I'm having pretty good pain mangement.

3 comments:

  1. So glad things went well and that the next will be easier than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going. Your in our thoughts. Gary and Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there. We love you and our thoughts and prayers are with you constantly. Ama Jack and Phyllis

    ReplyDelete