My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Incision and Such

Yesterday I took off my dressing and what did I find?... another reaction of some sort.

I started taking Benadryl a few days ago because I was really itchy so I’m going to keep that going until it starts to clear up. The rash is all around the steri strips that are over my stitches. My incision is on the side of my leg from my underwear line to about the middle of my quad. I’m supposed to leave it open (with the steri strips on) until I go to clinic to have the stitches taken out, July 9th. I’ve been keeping a chuck pad under my leg just so it’s clean and so I don’t get any drainage on my bedding. Now, I just have to avoid itching my leg.

I forgot to mention my scope incision. My surgeon took my scope stitches out when I was at the hospital for surgery #2. Since I have EDS a big concern is with stitches because my skin doesn’t properly heal together and a big risk is having stitches pop open after they’re taken out. To avoid this he put cement over my scope incision after he took out my stitches to double secure it. It looks like someone put clear nail polish over my incision. He said in a few days the excess cement would roll up and fall off. I thought it was kind of interesting, and my guess is that he’ll use it again when he takes my other stitches out.

I’m going to try cutting down on my pain medicine today. I’m going to start taking one pill during the day, then go back up to two tonight and see how it goes. Hopefully I’ll still be able to get pain relief and be a little livelier, since as of right now all I do is sleep. Also, I’m hoping that it makes me feel a little better because I’m still just eating sick food. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

We scheduled days for my other hip this morning. As of right now the plan is to have the scope the day before Thanksgiving, then have break to heal and go back to school so that I only miss one day (surgery day). Then in December, have the second surgery the Wednesday before break so that by the time school starts I’ll be feeling good enough to go back. I’ll probably have to go back to school in a wheelchair because it won’t be 4 weeks post-op yet, but I think that will be easy enough.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the detailed report about stitches. Maybe I'll try hiding stitches on sewing projects with clear nail polish. Take care and keep getting better. GBM and BKM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeline, I just love checking in this way, and getting your newsy updates. Sure wish you could figure out what it is that is causing you these rashes and itching with each incision. I thought you had that pinned down, but it's now sounding like a mystery still. Tomorrow you have Greer's arrival to look forward to - she ought to keep you entertained for several days at least - with lots of stories to tell each other. Love you dearie, Sara

    ReplyDelete