My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Home!

I came home from the hospital late yesterday afternoon. My surgery went really well. He ended up doing a lot less than planned, which means that my recovery should be more pleasant than expected.

I have to be non-weight bearing for 4 weeks, and I'm not allowed to do any abductions (pulling my leg outwards). Other than that I don’t really have any restrictions.

I’m defiantly ready for my pain medicine when the time rolls around. Getting up to go to the bathroom is a struggle, but I think we have a system down which works pretty well.

Ever since post-op I’ve had a pretty soar throat. It’s from the tube they put down your throat in surgery for anesthesia. Whenever you have surgery you get one of these, but I’ve never had such a soar throat. It makes eating a little tricky, so I think its frosty time.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your home and that the surgery was less than expected. Do frostys come in more than one flavor? Is there a daily limit? Take care and keep posting news.
    Love, Gary and Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the report Madeline. Surely hope the pain eases rapidly. You dont need any more of that.

    I guess you should be walking after four weeks. We're anxious to have you come to the cottage.

    Much love,
    Ama Jo

    ReplyDelete