My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Tomorrow's The Day

Well, I go in for surgery bright and early tomorrow at 6 AM.

I'll defiantly be in the hospital until Friday, but weather I go home Friday or not depends on how much my surgeon does. The blood that I previously donated will be at the hospital tomorrow just in case I need it. If I need blood during surgery they'll start a transfusion in the operating room, but usually a transfusion happens post-op (it could be the same day or even a couple days after). Transfusions are determined by amount of blood loss from surgery and hemoglobin level, so I'm sure I'll be having my hemoglobin checked often while I'm in the hospital.

I'm very excited to see how this surgery goes, as well as what my surgeon finds and what he thinks about my other (left) hip. We're going to see how this surgery goes, recovery and all and then probably schedule surgery for my left hip. The sooner we schedule the better because my surgeon has a very full schedule. I think with school and all, the smartest things seems to do my scope around Thanksgiving break and then do the next surgery around Christmas break, that way I won't have to miss school. Thanksgiving break gives my plenty of time to recover from the scope, then Christmas break gives me a little longer to recovery from the next surgery since that will be more invasive.

I'll keep you guys posted. I'm going to take my computer to the hospital so I'll try to write at least a short something about how things go, but I'm not making any promises.

AdiĆ²s for now.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the information, Madeline. You talk like a medical professional.

    I know it will go well tomorrow. Will be thinking of you every minute.

    Love Ama Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I continue to be impressed by your attitude and breadth of knowledge about what you're going through, in that I don't take that kind of intelligence for granted. And I admire your courage and stamina--you're made out of strong stuff, my dear.

    Peace be with you and with your surgeon. :-)

    ReplyDelete