My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Friday, July 23, 2010

Walking & Popping

Day three of walking and things are looking good. I'm not have much pain at all, and if I do it's not from my IT band (z-plasty) but from my actual hip joint it's self.

Let me explain my "popping" for a second.

My hip problems consists of two different kinds of popping. The first is the IT band, when it slips over my hip (greater-trochanter; lateral side of the hip). I refer to this as "my hip popping out." The second is when my actual hip joint pops. It never actually pops out, like a dislocation. The best way to describe it is as a clunk, you can hear it and I can defiantly feel it. The z-plasty of the IT Band was to fix "my hip popping out", the scope may or may not fix the hip joint clunk.

With that said, my right (operative side) hip doesn't seem to be popping out now (IT band), but then again I try to avoid letting that happen because it would be very soar. It feels like it isn't going to do that anymore, meaning the surgery was successful, but it's still a little too early to say for sure. Right now the only popping I'm having in that hip is the clunk of my hip joint. It's hard to tell if it is better, worse, or the same as it was pre-op. My surgeon said at this point you just have to wait and see how the scope part of things heals. He said a lot of the time patients experience popping and other things post-op and by about 4 months later they all go away. He couldn't say for sure if the popping I'm having now will go away then, we'll just have to wait and see.

As you can imagine, when my hip joint pops (the clunk) I have more pain since it's newly operated on and things are still sore. Other than that I'm really doing remarkably well. My walking feel almost like normal. I even have to make sure I hold back a little bit since I'm not 100% yet and so that I don't increase my pain; pain is my guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment