My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Friday, July 9, 2010

A Very Confusing Clinic Day

I saw my surgeon’s PA today.

She told me that she wanted me out of the wheelchair, but she also said I was still supposed to be touch down weight-bearing for 2 more weeks. It’s frustrating because it was obvious that she doesn’t understand my case, more importantly she doesn’t understand why I’m not using crutches like a “normal” patient would post-op.

I don’t want to be in the wheelchair a second longer than I have to be, but I also don’t want to start walking sooner than I’m supposed to and make something worse just because of miss communication.

My next concern is muscle atrophy. Anytime I’m down and out I atrophy more than the “normal” patient, this is attributed to EDS. I haven’t started PT yet, which is concerning because I don’t want to atrophy any more than I should. I’m ready to start water therapy after 4 weeks post-op (July 24th), but I was expecting to start regular PT by now.

To complicate this miss understanding, my surgeon is going away for the next 3 months. Next week will be his last week here. I wanted to see him before he goes away because otherwise I won’t see him until my next surgery and we have to decide if he’s doing the scope and Z-plasty combined or separate. Now most importantly, we have to figure out what exactly my weight-bearing restrictions, when I’m able to and supposed to start walking, and when I’m supposed to start PT.

Lots of questions, so hopefully we’ll get them all cleared up next week when I see my surgeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment