My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Monday, July 5, 2010

10 Days Post-Op & Z Plastia

It's 10 days post-op and it seems like it has been a lot longer then ten days. I think have the scope two weeks before this last surgery makes it seem like I’ve been recovering forever. I do have to say that I’m doing very well for 10 days post-op, but I’m already ready to be done (well just to walk). To be able to walk is all I want to do right now. I’m able to sit for longer periods of time now, which is nice because I can do more and mover around more. I also can pretty much get around by myself and do transitions alone, from bed to wheelchair and vice-versa. Being more independent makes all the difference and makes me feel like I’m part of the world again.

Z-Plastia
I thought I would explain a little about what Z-Plastia really is. So the term Z-plasty refers to a surgical technique of making a Z incision into the effected tendon (or whatever the effected are is) in order to lengthen it. If you think about it, it is really the only way to lengthen the tendon.
This is the best, non-graphic picture that I could get. First the surgeon makes several cuts (which eventually form a Z), then the cuts are flipped around (see the first picture the Z incision is going one way and in the last picture the Z is flipped around), and stitched so that the tendon is all one piece. After this procedure, the tendon is actually longer.

Personally, I find this a very interesting technique. Maybe at first it doesn’t make much sense how it can actually make a tendon longer, but I think seeing it like this might make it easier to understand.

2 comments:

  1. New month should bring new hope. Keep your focus on improving. There are so many things waiting to be done during summer vacation. Take care. GBM and BKM

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do a great job of explaining Madeline. Dont know how you remember all the medical terms etc. I understand much better what you had done. Glad you are moving better. Cant wait to see you at the cottage.We wont try pulling your wheel chair behind the golf cart.

    Love Ama Jo

    ReplyDelete