My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Incision Troubles...Again

I thought my incision was clearing up, but it's not looking like that. I woke up yesterday morning and my incision had oozed all the way thorough my steri strips, gauze pad and ace bandage. Not a good sign.

By the time I go to PT (in the afternoon) it was looking better, but still not great. My PT said to call my knee surgeon and see what they thought, he thought I needed to be seen by someone to make sure it's not and infection.

I'm going to see my first knee surgeon's (he operated on bother knees, the first time; he's in town) PA (physician assistant) tomorrow. They think it's most likely a superficial infection, on the top skin layer. Since I don't feel ill and I don't have a fever it's most likely that as opposed to an underlying infection, more in my knee.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. I'll most likely be put on antibiotics and it will hopefully clear up quickly. It's important to get this cleared up, not only because having an infection isn't a good thing, but because with this open, oozy part of my incision I can't push my range of motion, and I have to hold off on several exercises to avoid popping my incision open more.

No comments:

Post a Comment