My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Monday, March 7, 2011

A Good Day

Today was an eventful day for, the not leave the house and lay in bed for 3 weeks, me. Needless to say, the worst is over.

First of all I went to school for the first time today. I did a half day, 4 classes, and then went home at noon. I was really tired by the time I got home, but I felt good. It feels good to start to get back into the swing of life. Then I went to PT in the afternoon, where I had some great progress.

My range of motion (ROM, or flexion) is at 34 degrees, double what it was on Friday (16 degrees). My quad is firing very well, extremely good sign for me with my usual quad troubles. I was able to do multiple sets of strong straight leg raises, first time I've done those post-op. I also did some side lying leg raises (laterally).

I go to Cleveland tomorrow to see my surgeon. My PT thinks he's going to allow me to bear some weight, which is exciting. So far today I've only taken my pain medicine once (when I got home from school today), most likely I'll take another before I go to bed and that will be it. Hopefully I won't need them too much longer.

Overall, things are finally turning the corner. I'm making progress, my pain is getting better and getting around is a little easier. Looking forward to walking, hopefully very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment