My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I'm on my own two feet!

I'm ditching the wheelchair, ditching the crutches. I'm on my own two feet now.

This weekend I started walking without the crutches, in my brace, locked out. It's not as sore anymore, and I pretty much don't having any pain now. I've stopped using the wheelchair at school, which is going well.

I'm starting to get more back pain. I've had off and on SI joint (lower back, it's a joint that not supposed to actually move. Mine does which is why I have pain) pain for the past couple years. Recently, my SI joint pain started to come back as well as more general back pain bilaterally along my spine. Sitting in the wheelchair all day defiantly made the pain worse, which was one reason I was ready to ditch that thing. My back pain has gotten worse, but I think it would be worse than it is not if I was still in the wheelchair all day. I have to really work on my core because I arch my back out every chance I get to compensate. We're going to continue to watch it closely to try to prevent any damage.

Yesterday was 4 weeks post-op exactly. Between the next couple weeks I'll be able to start driving again. I need more range of motion and I need more quad strength before I can start.

Even with the back issues, which I'm used to, I'm very happy with how my recovery is going. My knee feel pretty good and I know when I get more quad strength that will only improve.

2 comments:

  1. More news about improvement. I could use some work on my core muscles too. What do you suggest? Take care. Barb

    ReplyDelete