My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Angry Incision

I my PA today, here in town. She put me on super antibiotics which treat a wide spread of infections. She doesn't think I have a huge infection, or something like MRSA, but this will for sure clear anything up.

On top of the antibiotics I have to do a special dressing change twice a day. It's a wet-dry dressing. Basically I pour a saline solution over my incision near the problematic area. Then I let it soak in for a little then dip a wick (special, sterile, gauze-like string) into the solution and pack it lightly into and over top the open, infected part of my incision. Finally a gauze like padding goes on top and it gets wrapped with an ace bandage.

The point of this dressing is to lift up the fluid and particles so the the infection can heal, and the incision can finally properly close up. The solution makes the incision wet at first, of course, but then it dries it out which is how it helps to stop the fluid build up.

There are three other spots on my incision that aren't open or infected, but are not closed as tightly and nicely as the rest of my incision. Those are most likely due to a suture that my body rejected, so it's trying to work it's way up to the surface. I just have to watch for that and pull it up if it comes up enough.

The incision is defiantly something to watch and it's good that I got in so soon, but it's not a HUGE problem. This treatment should clean up my incision nicely. I'm going to be seen back in the office next week just to make sure everything is moving along as necessarily.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, spring is about new growth and happy days. Get better.
    Love, Barb and Gary

    ReplyDelete