My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Post-op Update

I'm slowly starting to feel a little better each day. As of yesterday I'm not as tired, I can keep my eyes open for a little bit, before it was a lost cause.

I'm not quite ready to start skipping and cutting down on my medicine, I'm still in quite a bit of pain. Moving around is a struggle and makes my hip very soar, so I usually stay in a spot for the majority of the day. Right now, it's uncomfortable to sit up in my wheel chair so I either lay in my bed or on the couch.

I'm still not eating much. My dad made some homemade pita bread last night and I was able to eat that. Once I start cutting down my medicine I'll get my appetite back, but until then I just have to be careful that I'm eating enough so that I don't pass out.

Yesterday I had a bad headache, almost a migraine. I had a bad one in the summer with my right hip surgery. It turned out that I was getting too much oxycodone. Remembering that, my mom had me skip my next oxycodone and just take my other pain medicine (trazadone). After a nice long nap, my headache went away. Skipping the oxycodone was good for my headache, but it made my hip pain hard to control after that. It took a couple rounds of medicine to get it back under control.

I had some friends visit Friday, which was nice. They brought me a bag full of stuff from my journalism class with lots of useful recovery items to keep me warm and occupied. I really appreciate having my friends stop by, it makes my recovery more pleasant.

3 comments:

  1. yay madeline! im glad you are starting to feel a little better. love you <3 from, linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Madeline. I know you will be feeling better every day and needing less pain medicine. Cant wait for Christmas. Love Ama Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl, keep toughing it out one day at a time. It will get better. Love, Gary and Barb

    ReplyDelete