My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Physical Therapy

I went to PT yesterday, everything is going pretty well. My hip has a pretty good range of motion (ROM) which is the main thing I'm working on now. I won't start much strengthening until I can bear more weight.

Recently, I've been having this strange left knee (operated on December 09) feeling/pain when my knee is bent. I notice it more when I lift up my knee in a bent position, like when I lift up my leg to get out of my wheel chair. My PT thought it might just be that my joint is stiff, so I'm going to work on that and see if it goes away. It's strange because it's not so much pain, which is a good thing but it makes it a little challenging to explain what it feels like.

I've been able to lay on my non-operative side recently which is very nice and more comfortable. I also have been able to lay on my stomach more. It gets rather boring to lay on my back all day, everyday so it's a nice, exciting step of mixing up laying around all day.

I get my stitches out tomorrow early morning, then I got to PT in the afternoon with my regular therapist.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Madeline, Good to read you condition is progressing. We keep you in our thoughts. We try to be aware of hip and leg movements when skiing so we get an insight to what movements and mobility you are working toward. Take care.

    Love, Barb and Gary

    ReplyDelete