My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Thursday, December 16, 2010

I'm Home!

I got to come home today around 2:00, which was all I wanted to do since I woke up this morning.

Last night it took a while to get my pain under control, but they finally figured it out so that made me more comfortable. I got really nauseous last night so they gave me some IV medicine to make that go away and I haven't noticed it since then. I successfully got up with physical therapy today, without passing out which is something I often do post-op.

Right now I'm feeling much better than I was last night. As long as I take my medicine every 4 hours my pain is controlled fairly well. I'm using a CPM machine (I used it in June with my other hip). It bends my leg at my knee which provides movement in my hip so that my leg and hip don't get stiff. I like it, it makes my hip feel more comfortable. I have to use it for at least 4 hours for the next 2 weeks. When I'm not in the CPM machine I have to put these boots on. They look like soft ski boots and they Velcro together so that I don't laterally rotate my hip joint (a movement I have to avoid for the next 4-6 weeks).

So far I'm doing pretty well.

Thanks to everyone for all the good wishes, it mean a lot to me.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Healing Vibes to you! Happy Holidays as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helllo Madeline,

    Glad to hear you're home. Get well and keep in touch. Take care.

    Barb and Gary

    ReplyDelete