My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Thursday, February 24, 2011

No PT For Me

I was supposed to go to physical therapy today, but we decided it was just going to be a bad experience. Since just getting up to go to the bathroom is still such a task and painful, going all the way to PT was not going to be good. Plus, I still feel weak, like I'm on the verge of passing out when I get up, so being up for that long makes passing out for real a lot more likely situation.

My pain is still the same, and obviously moving is still just as difficult. I'm supposed to be backing down on the ice machine (I have a machine that circulates new cold water to my knee, it hooks up to a cooler type thing with a water/ice mixture) but when the ice is off my knee gets a very hot feeling inside. Overusing the ice can delay superficial healing, which means my incision. I had problems with that on my other knee last year, it really isn't a huge problem, I just had to keep my stitches in longer on one part of my incision. That can also give you a bigger scar, but because of EDS my scars are never perfect anyways. So, I'm working on backing off on the ice, but it's not a major priority, if I can get some pain relief from it then I'll use it. I've been turning it off at night, and saving it for the day which seems to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment