My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Six Week Visit

Today I saw my surgeon for my six week post-op visit. Technically six weeks is tomorrow, but close enough. I had some new scans taken to get an idea as to how my pelvis has been healing. After looking over things, I don't have quite enough bone healing to progress any weight bearing. The correction that my surgeon made was on the larger side, so that means that there is more surface area of bone that needs to heal and grow in. There is already some bone growth going on, just not enough to support weight bearing exercises at this time.

The plan is to assess my progress over the next two weeks and I will likely be able to slowly start weight bearing at week 8 post-op. This process will start slowly, and I'll do so with my physical therapist. Hopefully over the corse of a month I can slowly progress the amount of weight through my right leg. The goal is that by around week 12 or 13 I will be getting around fairly well.

I will continue with water therapy for the next several weeks (at the very least for the next two weeks). As I can bear more weight I will transition to land therapy more. I'm mainly using my SmartCrutches and trying to stay out of the wheelchair as much as possible. I left the wheelchair at home for my appointment today! Using crutches is doable for smaller trips, but I still need to be cautious of my left leg and my shoulder to avoid any other injury. The SmartCrutches take a lot of the stress off of my shoulders so I'm able to do more with them then I would be traditional crutches or walkers.

1 comment:

  1. Your strength and positive attitude truly amazes me! Continued healing thoughts coming your way!! ~ Mrs. Berns

    ReplyDelete