My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Find the Silver Lining

I've been off the web these past weeks for a couple reasons.

First, because I was bound and determined to work as hard as I could to get back on my own two feet. I have never only had to recovery and it really has been great to only have that one responsibility. It's allowed me to put all of my energy into doing just that, and that's exactly what my body needed me to do.

Secondly, because I was definitely having some mixed emotions toward the middle of rehab. Like I said above, it's been a lot of work. More work then I've ever had to or been able to put into recovering and with more physical work comes a little more emotional work. I am proud of EDS. I am proud of what it has taught me. I am proud of who it has made me become, but sometimes I need a little remind of those things.

So I dedicated these past almost 12 weeks to just that.

I've come a long way physically. I'm now walking (almost) aid free (with the exception of an ankle brace and some knee tape)! Being on my own two feet again feels wonderful. I'm not back 100% yet, but I'm getting closer each day.

I've also grown a lot mentally and emotionally with this recovery, more than I could have expected or even wished. Today I was speaking with a close friend and I had a little reminder of all the things that EDS has brought to my life positively. At times over these past weeks I've been a little discouraged about not being in school and taking this time off. I never grew up dreaming of becoming a nurse. I knew I wanted to go into medicine, but I didn't exactly know where I belonged or what my purpose was in the medical field. EDS changed all of that for me. When I started thinking about going to college I started reflecting on my journey with EDS. The thing that stuck out to me time after time was how much my nurses had touched me in a way that no other medical professional had. I quickly realized how much of an honor it would be to share times with patients while they were at their weakest points, just like all my nurses had done for me. So, how can I be mad at EDS and the modifications I need to make in my life? Without EDS I wouldn't have been given the privilege to realize what was important to me and what I was most passionate about; patient care. That's something that I will always hold closely.


No comments:

Post a Comment