My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The real work begins

Last week I was in for PT for the first time since surgery. I basically just had an evaluation with my therapist to get an idea of how my activation was and what range of motion I had. As expected, my right leg is very atrophied, but I was still able to turn on everything well (I had been working on activation exercises pre-op). My right knee seems to be a little angry. We're optimistic that once I can get things moving and get some strength back it will settle down. 

I started in the water the begging of this week. We'll just be easing into things to get my right leg back to working again. I think the pool is going to be really great and hopefully help me get stronger. Once I'm a little more confident in the water I'll plan to go to our indoor pool on my off days with PT. 

As I've started more exercises I've been able to move around a lot easier at home. I'm able to use my SmartCrutches around the house. I can almost get dressed without help; getting that right sock on it's the real challenge. All in all, I am getting so much better each day. I have an appointment tomorrow with my surgeon for my 6 week visit. If everything goes well I will be able to start some weight-bearing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment