My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Update

Last Thursday I saw my surgeon's PA and had my sutures removed. My incision looks good and seems to be healing normally. I'm allowed to bear 30-50 pounds through my left leg now, so I've been able to use crutches around the house (much easier than the wheelchair).

Physical therapy is going well. I'm starting to work on more strengthening to get ready for when I'm allowed to start walking. My therapist has been working out my IT band, meaning, massaging my leg so that my IT band feel more relaxed. I starting using the shuttle (a leg machine) to help gain some strength in my leg while bearing a little bit of weight through my leg. Today, I was able to do some single leg strengthening on the shuttle, which is huge progress for me already. When I would do that pre-op my hip would pop out. Although it's not perfect yet, because I'm still quite weak in that leg, it's already much much better than before, a very good sign.

Today, I noticed my hip flexor (located in the front of the hip) was aggravated. When I tried to do a straight leg raise I had a lot of pressure in the front of my hip as well as pain. My PT wasn't exactly sure why it was feeling like that, so I'm just going to watch it and avoid anything that makes it worse. I only notice it when my hip is working, like moving my leg up as necessary in a leg raise.

All in all, my hip is doing very well. I'm excited to get to start bearing more weight next week (4 weeks post-op).

2 comments:

  1. You truly amaze me! I wish MANY people could read this and discover your positive attitude as it is so very uplifting! You are an inspiration!

    Warmly, Mrs. Berns

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo glad to hear the great news on your hip!

    ReplyDelete