My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Same Song, Second Verse.

I saw my knee surgeon, who did my original knee surgeries (about 3 years ago) today. He agreed that I need to see my other knee surgeon in Cleveland (he specializes in reoccurring patella instability, he did my left knee surgery a year ago). He also confirmed that my knee is much looses and I'm going to need a surgical fix.

I have an appointment scheduled with my Cleveland knee surgeon for February 8th. I won't know what this knee will need to have done until I see him, and until he can review my MRI (which I had done today), but I do know that it's going to be around the same thing that I had done on the other knee.

The other thing we'll have to decide is weather I have surgery now, as in before the end of February, or if I wait until school is out, as in sometime this June. There are pros and cons of both options. If I have surgery sooner then there is less possible damage to my knee because I'll be able to prevent another subluxation/dislocation. Another pro is that having surgery sooner will be able to guarantee that I'll be ready to go off to college without a problem in August. At the same time, I just had hip surgery a month and a half ago which doesn't give my body much time to recover and I will have to miss a couple weeks of school.

There is defiantly a lot to discuss with my Cleveland knee surgeon, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he has to say about all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment