My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Friday, August 6, 2010

Physical Therapy

I went to PT on Wednesday. It seems like I'm making progress hip wise, but my back has been killing me. I'm going back to land based therapy for now and we're going to see how that goes.

Right now I'm really working on my core and gluts. When I activate my gluts it makes my back a little better, so hopefully strengthening them with improve that. On Monday I have PT again and I'm going to use a bio feedback for my pelvis. It's like a belt and it beeps at you when you're pelvis isn't in a neutral position. I tend to always want to lock everything out when I'm doing exercises, especially my back. The idea is that using the bio feedback will prevent me from locking out my back and force my muscles to do their job. It's going to be a lot of work because I have to re-train my body, and my muscles the correct way to work since they've been compensating for my hip issues for so long.

My therapist is also going to video tape my gait and compare it to my pre-op videos. I think that will be pretty cool because my gait always looks better, so I'm excited to see it side by side.

No comments:

Post a Comment