My Journey with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

"On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking, do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived."

- Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Not so Great Knee

I went to Cleveland at the beginning of this week to see my knee guy. I had been having some odd knee discomfort the past couple months that just didn't seem right to me. At my 4 mouth check up he decided that it was too early to decide if this was something to worry about, or if it could just be something that would go away. Typically, when you have surgery it's normal to have some weird sensations early on post operatively. He decide to wait until I was 6 months out to decide if it was something we should look into more.

Here I am 6 months out now, and my knee pain has gotten worse and has really limited me in PT. So, he wanted me to get an MRI to see if I tore my meniscus or have a bursa (inflammation bubble) where they anchored my MPFL (ligament on the inside of the knee) graft. The complicated thing is that because of the screw in my knee, in order to be able to see my meniscus and MPFL I need to have a high resolution MRI because my screw will create a blurred area, which would limit visibility to my meniscus and surrounding area. Luckily, I was able to get an appointment for tomorrow so I can get the special MRI and follow up with my surgeon and develop a plan for this before I move into school next week.

Keeping my finger crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment